Saturday, July 7, 2012

Religion and Relationships

Religion and Politics are two topics that I typically try my best to stray away from. My views are always different than others and I just don't like getting into those conversations. However, recently my religion more than ever has been playing a front seat role.  I am very proud to say that I am Jewish. My mom is Jewish and my dad is Catholic but in the Jewish religion if the mother is Jewish the children are Jewish. Growing up we were aware of the fact that our dad wasn't Jewish. We celebrate Hanukkah but give my dad gifts on Christmas. My brother, sister, and I were raised to accept people for who they are and whatever they have to bring to the table. There is really no way we could judge people since we pretty much cover the spectrum.  When people don't look at life that way it is hard for me to understand. 

The reason that religion has been playing a front seat role is because in December I went on my Birthright trip to Israel. On that trip I learned what role my Judaism can play in my life. Sadly did I know the part of me I love more than anything would almost cause me to almost lose one of my close guy friends. 

"Mr. T" and I have been friends since the end of high school. We go to school in different states so it is hard for us to see each other except when we are home for breaks. We talk on a regular basis and he knows more about me than my sister. Recently I realized what an AMAZING guy he is and how much I like him. Long story short, I found out he and I will never be able to date because he is Christian and he doesn't date people outside of his religion. Also, that his parents wouldn't approve of it either(whom I have never met because he doesn't want them to think badly of me if they found out I was Jewish...pretty much a direct quote from Mr. T)

He said he thought about dating me and recognized our religious differences and decided not to go there. Maybe it is because of the way I was raised but I never would think that would be a factor in who I date, love, or marry. I would love to marry someone Jewish but that doesn't mean I have shut myself off to all other options. Mr. T and I pretty much agreed to disagreed on this situation and moved on. Our friendship was very much on the rocks for awhile, and in the back of my mind I am still I little hurt about it. I would rather have him in my life as a friend than not at all but it still stings that something so small as our religion is going to keep us from even seeing if we could be together. 

I know religion means different things to different people. But to me there are other things when it comes to relationships that are more of a deal breaker than his religion.I really don't know how to feel about this whole thing. I have never been ashamed of my religion and who I am but the whole situation with Mr. T made me wonder if being Jewish was really that bad. 

Am I wrong for thinking religion is a small factor? Is religion a deal breaker for you? Is there something here that I am missing?  What do you all think about religion and relationships?

Today's Quote from Pinterest...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would Love to Hear From You!!!